SLIDER

Method of my Madness #3

Method of my Madness #3: 

I'm surprised I hadn't started this yet... I'll not do a method for my Dragon's Blood post as I can't remember my method XD. If you are here now, then chances are you know I started the rewrite of my book (finally).     -Malachi-




So, I started the rewrite... so?

I want to walk all of you through the entire process, start to finish, not as someone who only ever copies and waters down good advice. I rather want to walk you through as someone who is actually a writer, and who struggles with things you may struggle with.

I am a pantser (someone who writes by the seat of their pants, not literally!). I have a very hard time plotting and outlining my stories, and thus end up quitting the book after my discovery writing comes to a halt.

It does help me that I've had this story developing for a very long time and have a ton of scenes and such, but I threw that out the window.

I almost trashed the entire thing. I started with just a basic character arc, a lie, and a truth. I stated the lie for my two characters (my book follows two entirely separate characters). So I then had a lie about my character and the truth. All I needed was to draw the line between the two. 

I didn't do a complete, scene-by-scene outline, rather I drew some major plot-changing scenes that would connect the dots. My method for doing this, I came up with on the fly.

I set 4 points.

1.
2.
3.
4.

Then I filled them in as if they were:

Intro:
Rising action:
Climax:
Denouement:

To be honest, I know I will have to carry the story much farther than their character arcs, but I think this is a good thing as it will allow the readers to see the characters in their best form (instead of them finally clicking and the author just goes... "Okay, that was the point of me writing this, goodbye. No, no need to answer your questions).

This one was pretty short, so I won't do bullets this time (besides the fact that they never show up). -Malachi-

No comments

Post a Comment

© Malachi Gibson – Author Blog • Theme by Maira G.