SLIDER

Method of my Madness #2


Godwin raced through the outer gate and leaped off of his stallion, sword in hand, he charged into the great hall where he beheld a treacherous deed that had taken place but spans* before. The king, the rest of the royal family, and the castle staff lay motionless on the now crimson marble floor.

Sooo... I found this while I started to do a rewrite for my trilogy. I figured this would be a good time to start my next worldbuilding post (procrastinating from that massive project). -Malachi-

In my book, I have a few measurements and all the jazz different from our own. The span is equal to 80 minutes. Where I got this idea... well, y'all know I'm big on the bible, so I got this from the book of Enoch (chapter 72 verse 10, plus more sections where it's mentioned). Well, it says that the day is equal to 10 parts and the night to 8 (so 18 parts?). If the day were made up of 18 parts, and our days are made up of 24. Multiply 24 by 60, then divide by 18 to get 80.



You all are probably wondering what's up with the birdies I have on the covers. If you weren't... well... that's just sad. You can read that post here:

The first creature I did was the kinghawke. This was definitely the most in-depth creature build I did. I did a ton of research on hawks and other birds of prey. 

Why did I research before developing them...? I didn't want to turn off every bird lover by telling them this fancy new creature I made has three wings. No bird has three wings. I'll go through some of the points I made about them. A lot of my research was also done for other birds to know if the changes I was making were logical for birds in general.

  1. They have glossy wings. Ducks have glossy/waterproof wings.
  2. They live in massive colonies. There is a group of flamingos in East Africa that is over a million in number.
  3. Their average lifespan is 22-30 years. Most hawks live for 20 years, bald eagles live for 20-25 years in the wild. The oldest living bald eagle was 47.
  4. As they grow, their markings change. Bald eagles actually aren't bald until they are like 8 years old.

So, they are perfectly logical overall with maybe a few instances where the rest of the logic allowed for a bit of creativity.

The bit of creativity I added was that they are willing to be in a symbiotic relationship with cats and dogs. This although not unheard of for parrots and such, isn't anywhere near the norm.

My jumping rock brocket was only changed slightly.

More bullets for my friends who dodge bullets:

  • Research before you create your creatures.
  • If your creature is mostly accurate, then this allows a bit of room for your own creativity to add something new.

In the third part of the Book of Legends, I described briefly what was going on during the reign of each of the Gawins/Gawains. A lot of it was just "pulled out of the hat" to help me understand the world better. The main reason I did it was to back up the plot for my book. In my book it was necessary for me to have the things mentioned in the reigns of Gawin II, Gawin III, Gawain X, and Gawain XI.


Bullets:

  • Back up your plot with historical happenings to make your world more interesting.

No comments

Post a Comment

© Malachi Gibson – Author Blog • Theme by Maira G.